Monday, March 12, 2007

Our Fortified Ghettos

I thought this article to be very intesting. Atythe same time, I found it to be very depressing. I feel blessed that I live in a neighborhood where I do not constantly feel threatened. It truly is sad when people have to build houses with bars on the windows, spikes on the roof, and multiple locks on a door. I take for granted what I have, and I don't think twice-pretty lucky. The thing that really caught my attention was how thirteen kids died in a "fortified" Detroit house. It is a shame that innocent children died and suffered because their house had to be "fortifed." If their house had not been "fortified" they could have lived. We will never know now.

The second to last paragraph about the consequences of "fortication" also grabbed my attention. I feel that "trust" is a major problem. When people have to constantly look over their shoulder, I understand why it is difficult for them to trust others! People who have to "forify" their houses, do not know what it means to relax and feel safe. They must always be alert, wondering/guessing what could happen next. They can't trust people, which is sad! They must live their lives in fear, something that no one should have to do.

No comments: