Thursday, March 8, 2007

News Coverage II

1.) The local issue that I feel is getting the most attention involves Comerica Bank's decision to move its headquarters from Detroit to Houston. It has caused many people to become upset because they realize that this has several consequences. Consequences include: people losing their jobs, Michigan and Detroit receiving bad publicity across the country, and people from other states see what is happening, which stops them from thinking about or considering to work in the Metro area.

-The second local issue that is getting the most coverage is the Tara Grant murder case. It seems like new things are developing each day. To me, I am interested in the case, but it is getting more and more difficult with each day to hear/learn more disturbing news.

2.) The thing that stands out the most to me about the coverage on FREEP.com is the fact that the two top/most popular stories are very sad. Both the Comerica Bank and the Tara Grant story involve sad developments and I wish that there could be more positive news.

-The human factor in both of these stories is very evident. There is no denying the fact that these two top stories are having an impact on many citizens. They are taking a toll both finacially and mentally on many people. Many people are losing their jobs due to Comerica's decision, which affects not only the people losing the jobs, but their families. Michigan's economy is not in good shape right now, so this just adds insult to injury. It is tough having to watch people losing their jobs for essentially no reason. In the Tara Grant murder case, everyone in the state feels so sad and sorry for both Tara and her family. While watching the coverage on TV, it is hard not to get feel the pain suffered by both Tara and her family.

-I really do not feel any drama in the Comerica story because it is a very serious issue. In my opinion, the news is not exaggerating this story. People and family will go through tough times because of this decision. I can on the other hand see why people would think the News is adding drama to the Tara Grant story. At times, it seems like the news may push/go to far.

3.) I was looking for things in FREEP.com about my own neighborhood (Novi) and I really didn't find anything too interesting. There were not any real big storylines or anything like that. There were a couple of stories, but nothing that really stood out to me.

4.) I having been thinking about what I want to do my research about and I think I have found an idea for my photograph essay. I want to show everyone in class how the city of Novi continues to grow and develop with the city's increasing population. Within the past one or two years I have seen Novi grow dramatically with new schools, new hospital hotel, new subdivisions, many new restaurants, and possibly a new library. Because Novi is growing at such a rapid rate, the city has to keep developing and it surely has. When I interviewed the Mayor of Novi for my profile essay, he harped to me about how much Novi is developing. I think that the photograph essay would be a perfect opportunity to show my classmates pictures of Novi's new buildings and developments. I do not think I could right an argumentative essay on how Novi continues to develop, but I could right an essay about the issue of whether or not the city of Novi needs a new library. In November 2001, the citizens of Novi rejected the proposal for a new library, but the issue will again be on this year's ballot. I will argue that Novi's population has grown so much within the past six to seven years and that the current Novi library will is not adequate enough. I think that the people of Novi need to vote "yes" on this year's proposal.

No comments: