Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Abu-Jamal

Live from Death Row, written by Mumia Abu-Jamal, truly is a powerful story. So many different lines caught my attention. "Law is simply politics by other means" (135) rang very loud in my mind. I agree with Abu-Jamal when he says this. People who do not have a lot of money or who are in the minority suffer greatly in court because politics influence the court system in a way that hinders their chances. When I read the part about the cages, death cases, designed only for the African American inmates I was astonsihed and upset. I cannot understand why African American inmates have to be treated worse then the White American inmates. It simply is not fair!

The last part of the essay was very moving. I cannot imagine how embarrassed Abu-Jamal must have felt when he was not allowed to hug, kiss, or hold his daughter. He must have felt hopeless and rage probably filled his entire body. I would never want to experience such feelings and I wish those feelings upon no one.

No comments: