Thursday, January 18, 2007

Response to Today's Class Discussion

After today's class discussion, my stance on the blogs certainly changed. I originally viewed the first blog, FadedDetroit, as completely negative, but after listening to several people voice thier opinions, mine began to change. I still believe that sarcasm was used in many of the titles, but I did not notice that the writer of the blog used juxtaposition. In using this techinque, the writer was able to identify the good of Detroit along with the bad. Viewing the blog in this way made it much easier to understand many of the images presented on the blog.

The other blog, Detroitfunk, had a more depressed view of Detroit. Many of the pictures contained graffiti written on street walls, burned buildings and houses, and empty streets. However, after talking and listening to many people in class, I realized that this blog also had other pictures that reflected a positive light on Detroit. There was more to this blog then I had first realized. Stephanie K. pointed out an arrow in the last Chance Gas photograph, which pointed to the open sky. She interpretated it as being a possible message for Detroit to move in a new and oppournity filled future, something I thought to be very insightful.

No comments: