Monday, January 22, 2007

Response to "Jiving with Java"

After reading "Jiving with Java" I found this article to be very entertaining and interesting. The sudden increase in the popularity of coffeehouses is certainly worth talking about. I know that until a couple of years ago, I never even considered entering into one. Now, my friends and I will go every so often because they can be a good time. The line in the article that says, "We have everyone" (464) really jumped out at me. I thoguht about it, and it really seems quite true. Almost everybody now goes to coffeehouses! It is nice to have a place where people can go to just relax. Coffeehouses provide a place for people to go when they simply need a break from their busy lives as well as a place where they can enjoy their friends company. Coffeehouses provide people with many simple pleasures.

The last two paragraphs also caught my attention. When reading these paragraphs about the high levels of caffeine addiction among many people, I could not tell whether the writer (Michael Marriot) was either being sarcastic or serious. I hope that coffeehouses haven't become "middle-class crackhouses" (465) for some people. I believe that Marriot was simply poking fun at people who constantly visit their local coffeehouses. It will be quite interesting to see if this phenomeon lasts for years to come.

No comments: